Wednesday, March 2, 2011

first activity using first lines

I have many books about writing a novel- and one such book suggests taking some of my favorite books and then writing down the first lines in these books. Then writing why I kept on reading, what works, and what I like or admire about the first line. I've decided to do that then practice some first line ideas for my novel. 



"I've never given much thought to how I would die-though I'd had reason enough in the last few months- but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this."


This is a great first line for many reasons. First off, we assume that the main character is going to die, which is intriguing and begs the reader to wonder how? Then we find out that s/he has reasons for thinking she would die because the past few months have been crazy- so we wonder what has been going on. Then she says she would have never imagined this... this plays on our imagination... I couldn't help but want to answer these questions... and find out. Read the book in less than a day. 


"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a large fortune, must be in want of a wife. "


Classic line. A line that truly transcends time. For me the quote has dual meanings. First during the time in Regency England this statement would be true. Men needed wives to carry on their estates- by way of bearing children. Secondly, after you realize the book is about women securing husbands the line becomes humorous. It really sets the stage well (and establishes the theme). 


"I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time."


This line establishes a time frame for the story. It is obviously being told in the past- and the cemetery of forgotten books is so unique that I want to read on. 


"When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold."


I love this line. It reminds me of what I tried to convey in some of my pathetic and mediocre poetry. It's that feeling of waking up alone, waking up knowing that who ever was supposed to be lying beside you has been gone or was never there (coldness). In those 12 words I have an idea of how s/he feels and at the very least can relate. 


"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."

I can picture what I envision his words to mean- can feel the cold day- even with the sun beating high in the sky. But is the clock that really pulls me in. 13? No hour exists or at least 
no hour that I am currently aware of- I want to know more...


Here are some first possible lines I am playing with which will most likely change. 


- I knew. The way only a woman can know. 


- I had forgotten about the cold as I stood in the line awaiting my shot. 

-Again, I was alone, perpetually meant to be alone. 


-I felt the proof beneath his shirt. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of this exercise, I think I'm going to do both a novel and graphic novel version too where I have to examine the art too. I prefer the first two opening sentences you wrote, especially the second one. I'm drawn to how it places the reader immediately in a state of action and makes me want to know what he/she is shooting and with what. The third seems far too mopey in a sterile kind of way I think it would put people off before they read anything else. The forth just sounds like a dirty book :P

    ReplyDelete