Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Batso Short Story Part II

The next day Hannah woke early. She began her daily housekeeping chores and even had time to make breakfast for the family. Morning chores must be finished by 6 am, which is the time the work day in Batso village begins. The summer was attempting to stifle the last remnants of spring. Hannah opened all the windows to let the fresh air cleanse the house. She had to feel the wind upon her skin; she wanted to ascertain that she was not still dreaming. 


Momma awoke feeling her age. Her husband was already eating. 


“Sir, I hope you rested well?”
“Well enough. Thank you. And you?”
“Fine, quite fine. Hannah are you feeling alright?”
“Yes, momma, why would you ask such a thing?”
“Well, rarely are you up before your father and I. To what do we owe such an honor?”
“I slept exceptionally well.”
“I’ll say.”
“Momma do you still have that green fabric from Aunt Anna?”
“Yes, wherefore?”
“I wanted to make a new dress. I think I would like to wear a pretty dress.”
“Your dresses are usually always very pretty, dear.”
“Perhaps, but I would like to have a fashionable dress.”
“Hannah, fashion is a luxury we cannot afford to have. You know this.”
“Yes, but Momma-”
“Pray on it. I will too. God will tell me if you are worthy. I will wait to hear his answer.”


Hannah left the room with haste. She wanted to write Samuel a letter. this time she would be the one to ask for a clandestine meeting. Hannah sat on her bed and began to write:


Dearest Samuel,
My heart has not stopped beating so fast. I dare say, I may have not slept at all last night yet I do not feel at all tired. It is the strangest feeling to be so happy. With each new passing day, is a day closer to when we can be together. I wrote this not only to state the aforementioned but to also ask you to meet me tonight. Come earlier than yesterday, for I have a surprise for you. I will be counting down the hours until we meet. 
With all my heart,
Hannah


She sealed the letter and left the house in search of him.
She managed to find him just as he was departing for the day. 
“Samuel!” 
“Hannah?”
She quickly approached him and lowered her voice, “I have something for you. Good morning.”
“Good morning. You look beautiful on this day.”
“Thank you.” She carefully slipped the letter into his pocket without anyone noticing.
“Momma needs me back to the house. She has been summoned to the Big House so I help around the house today.”
“Very well. I must be off cannot be late.” 
“Yes. I’ll think of you,” she whispered.
Samuel smiled and they both went their separate ways. 


Samuel worked at the saw mill. He would have to wait until lunch to read her letter. The moments in between were like torture to him. In order to lessen the pain he would dream of her- of their life together. He truly felt blessed. Last night he fell asleep thinking she were lying beside him. Her warm body keeping him warm. Often while at work he thought of her milky white skin- perfect from any imperfections and of her red curly hair. Few have seen it down, few have played with it, and even fewer have smelled it as he has done. All this he knew and it was this knowledge that made him walk around with a smile on his face throughout the day. He knew many of the men spoke of Hannah, pined after her, but she made it impossible for any man to get close enough to her. 


When the lunch bell finally rang, Samuel ate alone. He quickly opened the letter. He could still smell her scent on the page. He read the letter several times, studied the flow of her hand. Without question he would go. Today was the day. First he would visit Martha to announce the breaking of their engagement. Then he would meet Hannah and ask to be his wife. He would wait a month before asking her father for her hand out of respect for Martha. He folded and folded the letter and stashed it away in his pocket. His thoughts were consumed by what must be done. 


Hannah had finished most of her chores. Since she had the house to herself she gathered the money she had been saving and went to the general store. She planned on having a picnic for her and Samuel. She assumed today was a special day and therefore tonight should be filled with celebratory bliss.


She very nearly skipped to the store. Upon arriving she noticed the head clerk was not there, but his associate, Richard, was behind the counter. 
“Hannah what a pleasure to see you on this fine day.”
“Yes, thank you.  I am out to get a few small things. I am celebrating.”
“Oh really? Pray. Tell me what is the occasion?”
“Today is…” Hannah blushed, “Is the date my brother would be 15.”
“Oh…I didn’t know. You have my deepest condolences.” 
“Everything happens because the Lord will’s it. It is his doing. Often we cannot make sense of his actions. My family chooses to remember the good and not dwell on the bad. But I beg of you. Please do not discuss any of this to any one. My family is very private. I do not know why I have revealed this much to you.”
“As you wish.” Richard could not help but think Hannah’s confession was a sign. “what will it be today for the celebratory feast?”
“Butter, smallest portion, cheese, bread and two sweet buns.”

“No, sir. But we have some left over from last week. It will suffice. I only have so much money to use for today’s luxuries.”
“Hannah, the head clerk is out sick today. Let me give you some thing special. Milk and tea perhaps? More sweet buns?”
“Richard I could not take your charity.” 
“Please, if you feel it is unwarranted allow me to call upon you after church this Sunday. Allow me that honor.”
Hannah stood still.
“It is a small price to pay for a few things.” 
“If you insist. I will inform my parents and perhaps you can stay for dinner.”
“Yes, I would like that very  much.”
“Please do not mention today or this to my parents. They do not like to be reminded nor would they approve of your generous charity.”
“As you wish.”


On her way home, Hannah spied Martha heading her way. Poor, unfortunate Martha. Should I say anything?
“Good day, Hannah.”
“Martha all is well with you and your family?”
“Yes. Although my father has pain in his hands and the doctor has insisted he take a short break from the farm. I will be his replacement. I have come to tell Samuel of the news.”
“I see. How unfortunate. I wish you and your family the best.”
“Thank you.”
Hannah was suddenly struck by a feeling she couldn’t quite put her finger on. Perhaps it was pity. 
“Do you even love him?” 
Martha was just out of ear shot. “I beg your pardon?”
“Nevermind.” Hannah hastily walked home and once there was somewhat tired. She decided to take an hour nap, which quickly became a two hour nap. As soon as her eyes began to open, she noticed the setting sun. She was late for her meeting with Samuel! She quickly rose and gathered her food by wrapping it in her coat. She attempted to bypass her parents and walk out the back door, but her mother called to her, “Hannah, where are you going?”
“To meet Emily. I am not hungry, Momma. I shall not be long.” She did not even wait for a response from her mother, as she spoke she walked out the door. Once away from the houses her quick stride transformed into a run. Upon approaching the spot she saw no visible signs of Samuel. Her eyes scanned every inch of the area, but it was obvious that he was not there. Hannah waited nearly an hour until her head informed her heart, she was too late. Reluctantly, she walked home with a heavy heart and tired eyes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment