Sunday, March 13, 2011

Short Batso Story Part I

He asked me to meet him behind Bridge Street, behind the Allen’s house. Actually, he asked me to meet him by the rock pile behind the tree which spilt. I knew the place instantly. He had given me my first kiss there. Momma would never approve. His family had betrothed him to Martha Miller. I knew his heart was not with Martha, but it pained me to see him walk her home after church. When we were alone he would tell me that any time he was with Martha he pretended she was me, and that comforted him. Truth be told, I didn’t doubt him for an instant. Martha was dull and rather homely not to mention shy. I dare say she didn’t even speak when she was stung by a bee last year.

It was dusk. The sun was setting in a shade of orange that reminded me of the lake. In the shallow parts of the water, which  reminded me of my childhood, were a certain hue of orange, the same orange that basked the sky.   Through the woods I could see Samuel approaching. His brown hair was blowing slightly in the breeze. His smile pierced my soul.

“You came.”
“You act surprised.”
“Sometimes I feel like this is nothing more than a dream. For I will wake and won’t know what your lips taste like, what your hair smells like… your skin..”
“Please you are making me blush.”
“shall we walk?”
“You looked very pretty today when I saw you at the General Store.”
“Thank you.”
“Is that a new dress?”
“Yes, momma brought the fabric as a gift for me and I sewed it myself.”
“It brings out the green and gold bits in your eyes.”
Hannah blushed. They were now deep in the forest and at their other favorite spot. There were a few fallen logs which were very useful. They sat down now and Samuel, confident of their concealment, took Hannah’s hands.
“Oh how I wish I were marrying you. My life would truly be a blessing. If only I could wake up beside you each morning.”
“You talk so.”
“I talk of the truth. I love you, Hannah.”
“Samuel…I…you…I love you too.”
He leaned in and gave her a small, impetuous kiss.
“I am always thinking of you. I always hope to see you around the village. With each turn, I hope you will be around the corner. I daydream of the last kiss we have had, of the way your hair flows around your face, of the softness of your skin.”
“Samuel, maybe we shouldn’t meet anymore.” Hannah pulled her hands from his, and turned away. Instantly he was at her feet, “Please don’t ever say that. My life would have no meaning without you. You are…”
A single tear flowed down his cheek. “I need you. “
“Last we spoke you wanted me to have relations with you. That is something I cannot do. You must be pure before you bed with Martha. She deserves that a t least.”
“You are correct, but to me your are my wife in my heart and soul. I never wanted to marry Martha. Our parents betrothed us when we were quite young. What choice do I have?”
Hannah now began to tear up. She wanted nothing more than to be with Samuel for the rest of her days.
“Martha is the chosen wife, you are the one I choose.”
Hannah stayed motionless.
“I will never ask you to have relations for me again. Just don’t take away these few moments we have together. Please, I beg of you.”
“I love you Samuel. Do you know what I dream of? Each night? I dream of being your wife. Running your household, bearing your children. I have named them. I have dreamt of laying with you, what it would feel like- giving all I have to give, to you.”
“Oh Hannah. Maybe soon I could simply tell Martha of this. She must love another. She must have a heart. Surely she could understand that it would kill me to marry her. It would break my heart, my soul to give myself to her all the whilst I long for you. If I marry her, I would not stop thinking of you, and is that not a sin too?”
“Do you think she would really understand, Samuel?”
He leaned his head on her chest as she stroked his hair. The breeze shook the trees, their only audience.
“Yes, my love. I do.”
“If we were engaged, really engaged I would give myself to you.”
“I know.
Gently he kissed her, as the leaves danced for them, murmured them further into bliss, just as the sun could be seen no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment