Saturday, March 26, 2011

continues

I ran and ran until I couldn’t feel my legs. At first my mind was blank. I ran through the woods as to not draw attention to myself. So I ran to my best friend’s house. It was dark, the blinds were drawn and I heard no noise from her three dogs. I went in through the side door, which was never locked. 


“Anyone home?”
“Who’s there?”
“It’s me. It’s Jet.”
“Ohmyfucking God. You’re alive. Jesus.” She came out of the shadows in such a way, it was as if she was part of the shadows,. “I didn’t think I’d ever see you again.”
“Don’t get all emotional on me. Not now. My parents are dead.”
“Fuck.”
“Yeah. I couldn’t stay there. Nothing to stay there for.” 
“I haven’t even heard from my parents. They went out to dinner when it hit. Haven’t seen or heard from them since. Wish we had messenger birds.” 
They shared a glance, only two friends can understand. 
“A few people have stopped by. I let them stay here. We need to stand together.”
“People like who?”
“Neighbors, childhood friends, friends of friends.”
Her house was far enough from the main road that many would not even know it was there. We were fortunate to grow up in the boonies. You know, so deep in the woods you could see deer walking around your front lawn. It was only natural that the kids of the boonies would stick together. There were about eight of us who went to the same schools from kindergarten until we graduated high school. I hadn’t seen some of them since then actually. 
“Most of them are asleep or just…well then are shocked. Who the fuck isn’t? My husband still hasn’t come home either. You can have the second bedroom. I haven’t put anyone in there just in case my parents showed up.”
“Thanks, love.” 
“Did you even bring any clothes or anything? Food?”
“I can always go back for food. I didn’t… I mean. She died- just collapsed. I couldn’t think straight. I just ran out of the house and kept on running. It took me here.”
“I understand. Maybe tonight around dusk we could go back for food. I have some in reserves down in the basement, but before any ransacking happens I’d rather be fully stocked.” 
“Shit, what else is there to do? I’m game. Nothing like an adventure while the world dies.”
“Always the pessimist.” 
“I prefer realist, but the name is nothing more than that. I’m gonna crash. I haven’t slept for…ages.”
“Alright, I’ll wake you up.” 


Emily actually lived in the house her parents used to live in. But she got married and her parents gave her the house as a wedding present. They wanted something smaller. Her mother was handicapped and needed a smaller, easy functioning house. So I was actually sleeping in her parent’s old bedroom. Emily didn’t want to live in there- she said it creeped her out so she enlarged her old bedroom and that became the new master bedroom. I didn’t mind sleeping in here though. Her parents didn’t even really like each other. So after the first few years of marriage they stopped sleeping in the bedroom altogether. It was weird actually, thinking about it now. Any time I came over if they weren’t in the kitchen they were in this room they made into a second small living room. It had a computer, tv and two couches. While thinking of them, I fell asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment